The new membership fee and council service fee will be incorporated into the online registration process beginning with 2014 early bird registration in spring 2013. The cost to each family will be $30 per girl member which includes the $15 membership fee, reflecting GSUSA’s increase, plus a $15 service fee to Girl Scouts of Central & Southern NJ. The CSF is a girl fee and only applies to girl members. As such, adult members will pay an annual membership of $15.
As part of the 2013-2014 membership year, every registered Girl Scout will receive a certificate redeemable for one Journey book. Girls at each level will have three series of National Leadership Journeys to choose from; which helps each girl in our council fully experience the journey by having her own book (a $7 value) and ensures that Girl Scouts at every level are sharing in the powerful, national experience.
Members are reminded that the purpose of the CSF is to support the operation of our local Girl Scout council the same way the national membership fee supports the operation of GSUSA.
The CSF, along with product sales, corporate and foundation support and gifts from families and friends to the Annual Fund Campaign, gives us the combined resources needed to deliver the premiere leadership program for girls. Like other non-profit organizations, Girl Scouts has felt the impact of the national recession.
The CSF supports the operation of our local GS Council, this includes:
- General expenses for all council properties, service centers, and camps including utilities, insurance, maintenance and capital expenses
- Technology initiatives such as online registration, e-newsletters, websites, event calendars and support of other technological advances
- Providing the quality customer care and service necessary to manage a membership of 25,000 girls and 11,000 volunteers
- Initiating background checks of volunteers and staff to ensure the safety of girls
- Protecting girls and adults by providing liability insurance coverage for all council approved events, activities and non-Girl Scout facility use
- Subsidizing year-round turn-key outdoor experiences for girls
- Processing and placement of girls in various membership pathways
We are sensitive to the continuing economic hardships that affect many in our council, and realize that this $6 increase may be a hardship for some. GSCSNJ is committed to ensuring that all girls can participate in Girl Scouting, regardless of socioeconomic status. No girl will be denied access to Girl Scouting for financial reasons. Council Cares Financial Aid provides confidential, need-based financial assistance to individuals seeking Girl Scout membership.
For further questions or if you would like to offer feedback on the CSF, please attend the Membership Forum on March 14th at 7PM or email email@example.com and include CSF in the email subject line.
Mary E. Connell, CEO
Ann Marie Horner, Board Chair